The purpose of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is to eliminate discrimination based on disability from all aspects of school operation. It states: “No otherwise qualified individual with a disability shall solely by reason of her or his disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Mercer County Schools provides eligible students with equal access (both physical and academic) to services, programs, and activities offered by our schools.
Under Section 504 parents of students with disabilities have the following rights:
- To be informed of the rights available under Section 504
- To receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination
- To have their child receive a free, appropriate public education
- To have their child given an equal opportunity to participate in school programs and extracurricular activities sponsored by the school
- To inspect and review all of their child’s educational records
- To have educational evaluation and placement decisions based on information from a variety of sources and by persons who know their child’s educational needs, the meaning of the evaluation information and the placement options in the school system
Periodic review of a written 504 Plan
A child who is eligible under Section 504 is entitled to a periodic re-evaluation before any significant changes occur in the child’s placement. For more information about Section 504, please contact your child’s school principal.
Download this brochure for more information.
Tips and Tricks to Aid Your Student
Helping Your Child with Organization and Study Skills – Ideally, children should begin to learn organization and study skills in the early elementary grades. However, it is never too late to help your child develop these skills.
|Notice of Parental Rights Section 504.docx||21.88 KB|
|Section 504 Eligibility Determination Form.docx||29.26 KB|
|Section 504 Manifestation Report.docx||37.16 KB|
|Section 504 Referral and Recommendations.docx||35.77 KB|
|Working with Parent Concerns and Complaints Under Section 504.docx||31.77 KB|
|504 Disciplinary Action Review.docx||46.45 KB|
|504 Classroom Accommodations.pdf||402.17 KB|
|Master Accommodations List 2017.pdf||65.58 KB|