• There are three different types of Substitutes employed by Mercer County Schools:

    • Certified Professional Substitutes
    • Service Substitutes
    • 5202 Professional Substitutes - has Bachelor's degree - not in Education.  If applying as a 5202 Substitute, you must contact the Certification Coordinator (304-487-1551) to apply for a required course. 

     Selecting an area of interest for future employment

      • Once you have selected an area of interest, you must do the following to be considered for employment:
      • If an applicant is interested in one or more positions, please fill out an application for each.  Your application(s) will be retained from May 1 - April 30 of each year.  If you would like for your application(s) to remain on file for an additional year, you must contact the Human Resource Department in writing before May 1.

     Responding to an advertised position

    • Application of Interest (examples: Custodial, Aide, Cook, Secretary)
    • Authorization to Release (previous employment information)
    • Reference Forms
    • Licenses, Certifications, and/or College Transcripts as applicable
      • Establish a pre-employment file including the following (click here for forms):
      • Complete Letter of Intent for advertised position.  If you intend to apply for multiple advertised positions, a separate Letter of Intent is required to be completed for each.



    Mercer County Schools Department of Human Resources will accept substitute teacher applications from individuals who are qualified by having a current West Virginia educator's license or who have recently completed a teacher preparation program, including student teaching, and have recommendation for licensure and are waiting for their current license to arrive.  Persons desiring to become substitute teachers may apply by following these procedures:

    • Complete a Professional Application
    • Submit an Original transcript and a copy of PPST/PRAX/PLT test scores
    • Submit three (3) professional references that you have listed on your application.

    All of the above information may be sent to:

    Mercer County Board of Education
    Attn: Human Resource Department - Substitute Teacher Employment
    1403 Honaker Avenue
    Princeton, WV 24740

    or emailed to: